Sunday, May 22, 2016

White Eyelet Bonnet

   A couple of months ago I realized that Foof could really use something to shade her face when we are outside, so I decided to make a bonnet for her.

  Having made and loved the Peekaboo bonnet pattern before, I decided to use that, with a couple of small changes.

  I chose to not make the bonnet reversible this time, and used plain white quilting cotton for the inside. I'd planned to stitch-in-the-ditch to finish the inside, but when the time came I just couldn't bring myself to do it and hand-stitched instead. It was much quicker with the piping only on the outside!

  Since I used a lightweight eyelet for the outer and didn't underline it, I applied interfacing to the lining of the brim.

  The main change, however, is the ties... I cut a strip of eyelet that was 36" by 2.5", marked where the bonnet would sit in it, and sewed the rest right sides together with a quarter-inch seam, making an angle at the ends. Next, I sewed the bonnet right sides together with the tie, leaving one long side unattached. Finally, I flipped the ties right side out, tucked in the seam allowance, and hand-stitched the final edge down to the bonnet.

  I like these wider and softer ties much better than the binding ties on my last version.

  I used plain white cotton to make the piping. I think I'd like it better with a finer piping cord for this size, but this is cute too.

  The lining is Kona cotton in Snow, and the outer is white eyelet that I bought at Jo-Ann years ago thinking I'd make myself a top. Clearly, that hasn't happened! ;-)

  I think this bonnet is just adorable, and I'm happy that Foofy doesn't mind wearing it, although it does seem to make her a bit sleepy sometimes!

  I just wish I'd made one of these years ago! ;-)

Thanks for stopping by,

6 comments:

  1. I loooove that bonnet! It's seriously the second cutest thing ever (the baby is cuter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much!! I just love bonnets on babies. =)

      Delete
  2. I love it! The eyelet is beautiful and the ties do look much better. I didn't like the stiff, bias tape ties, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The binding ones just don't look comfortable either. I'm sure they would be better with handmade binding, but I still prefer this. =)

      Delete
  3. A white eyelet bonnet? Be still, my heart!!! How adorable!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! When I was a kid I looooved eyelet ruffles. Imagine how amazed and delighted I was to find that there was such a thing as eyelet FABRIC! ;-)

      Delete