Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Floral Tie-Front Top

  For a few months I was looking at clothing sites for inspiration way too much. I've stopped now, because I'm simply never going to get time to sew all of the things I like, but a relic of that time is a folder chock-full of inspiration. One idea that was saved in several iterations is a tee with a faux shrug tied in the front. I wasn't sure if it would accentuate things that are already big on me, so it's taken me a while, but I finally got the courage to try it!
 

  The verdict? Ehh. I like it enough to wear it but I don't love it. I'll probably make it again, but with a couple changes: I'll lengthen the top layer by about 2 inches, line the front of it so the ties don't curl, and make the ties go straight across the bottom, instead of curving up toward the center. I used this knit from Girl Charlee for the under-layer and this knit for the top.

  It can wrap to the back and tie there too! I like it better just tied, without a bow, but the only photo of that came out pretty blurry.

  About those photos... I didn't realize until I loaded them onto my computer (after dark, which meant I couldn't take more. Besides, Beckers puked on me soon after these photos.) that my camera was focusing on the rocks behind me in most of them. Oh well!

  I'm wearing my pleats and panels skirt with this shirt... it's one of the few skirts I can actually wear right now. I lost enough baby weight (finally!) that most of my skirts are sliding off, but not enough that I can comfortably wear my smaller size skirts. This particular one slides down, but not actually off. ;-) Guess I just need to lose some more!

  I did a rolled hem for the ties on this, and it was miserably hard. Rolled hems and the tight curves on the tie ends don't mix. I had to redo it three times and I still don't like the results. I used a twin needle to finish the sleeves, under-layer neckline, and hem. Everything else was just serged.

  I'm so happy I got a chance to sew in my new sewing room though! It's not set up at all, so the cutting was a lot harder than it should have been, but I love that I have that room! =)

  I'm linking this top up to Project Sewn, since it happens to be in a floral. =)

Thanks for stopping by,

4 comments:

  1. It came out cute, but I know what you mean about "accentuating" things. I once wore a top to work and my friend said to me "You can't wear that again. All I can see is boobs. I'm not even aware you have a body other than those when you wear that." It wan't an immodest top, it just gathered in unfortunate places, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's hilarious! And exactly what I was afraid of. I'm glad I avoided that! =)

      Delete
  2. Oh! I really like the way it looks tied in the back! I don't think it over-accentuates anything, but I understand being self conscience about certain areas. And that skirt is cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It worked better than I expected... if anything it makes my waist look a tiny bit smaller rather than making anything look bigger. =) And thanks! I wish I had a few more skirts that fit, but I'm happy this one is cute! =)

      Delete