Thursday, October 25, 2012

Denim Skort

  Remember the skirt I was working on when the Kids Clothes Week Challenge ended?

 Well, I finished it!
  Only, as you can see, it is too big! I made it a 4T since Booper usually wears 4T in ready-to-wear clothing... but I forgot to account for the fact that those skirts I buy are meant to be mini-skirts, and there's no way I'm going to let her wear them that short. And the waistbands on those skirts are always a little big. I don't think I've tried a long-sleeved 4T shirt on her before, which explains the extra length there. =)

  So anyway, it's too big. I had fun with the details on this one though. I bound the pockets, applique, ruffle, and hem with that binding I made, and added red stitching in a lot of places for a little extra detail.



  I didn't do French seams on this one... just serged them with my itty-bitty super-slow serger.

  Oh, and did I mention it has bloomers underneath?
  She loves it, but since it is so big, I've listed it in my brand-spanking-new Etsy shop
 
  This will be a new adventure for me... I've thought about starting a shop for a while, but just haven't done it before now. I probably won't make a lot of things to sell, since I'm so slow at sewing and would rather spend my time on something I get to see regularly, but it would be nice if I could make a little money that way.

  I'm a little nervous about my pricing... I mean, there is no way I'd pay that much for a kids outfit (not even for an adult outfit) but I do need it to be worth my time if I'm selling them. Considering that I spent at least 12 hours on this set, I'm earning less than $5 per hour, not including the cost of materials. Do any of you have tips of pricing handmade garments? Would you pay $58 for a handmade skort and shirt set?

  If you are interested in buying this outfit (minus the child, the hair-clip, and the shoes) go here.


   I'm very excited and nervous about this new venture, so I'm off to calm my nerves by working on a tutorial for my crossover nursing dress while I sew a new one up for myself. =)

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment